The FairShares Association’s governance auditing and diagnostic tools were strongly influenced by a number of academic studies and articles developed at Sheffield Hallam University. Key papers are:
- Ridley-Duff, R. J. (2005) Communitarian Perspectives on Corporate Governance, Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University, http://shura.shu.ac.uk/2681/
- Ridley-Duff, R. J. (2007) “Communitarian Perspectives on Social Enterprise”, Corporate Governance: an International Review, 15(2): 382-392, http://shura.shu.ac.uk/721/
- Coule, T. (2008) Strategies for Sustainability in the Voluntary Sector, Unpublished PhD Thesis, Sheffield Hallam University.
- Chadwick-Coule, T (2011). Social dynamics and the strategy process : bridging or creating a divide between trustees and staff?, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 40 (1): 33-56.
This initial audit presents six open questions to gather information about board members awareness of governance challenges and regulatory processes. It is usually the starting point for further work on capacity building (using the ‘Advanced Governance Diagnostics’ on this website, or the Governance Routemaster developed by Social Enterprise Europe).
The diagnostics are designed to help develop and maintain a FairShares Canvass. The diagnostics facilitate an understanding of stakeholders perspectives on governance principles to develop their awareness and skills.
Click here for: Initial Governance Audit
For help interpreting the results, see the documentation on the FairShares Wiki.
You can open the Advanced Governance Diagnostics to do a more detailed survey.
Other Studies that have influenced the production of the Advanced Governance Diagnostics
- Ridley-Duff, R. (2010) “Communitarian governance in social enterprises: case evidence from the Mondragon Cooperative Corporation and School Trends Ltd”, Social Enterprise Journal, 6 (2), 125-145, http://shura.shu.ac.uk/1714/
- Ridley-Duff, R. and Bennett, A. (2011) “Towards mediation: developing a theoretical framework for understanding alternative dispute resolution”, Industrial Relations Journal, 42(2), 106-123, http://shura.shu.ac.uk/6446/
- Coule, Tracey (2013). Governance in non-profit organizations: accountability for compliance or legitimacy? In: British Academy of Management Conference, Liverpool, 10-12 September 2013.
Return to Diagnostics.