The FairShares Association is a FairShares Enterprise run by its members (see ). It is currently a project supported by Social Enterprise Europe, with its own constitution and governing processes. Supporter subscriptions are processed by Social Enterprise Europe.
The FairShares Association advocates vibrant communities in which adults become co-owners of the organisations on which they depend for work, consumer goods and public services. As barriers to ownership are minimised, so the values of mutuality, trust and reciprocity will take root, strengthening the community and eliminating poverty.
Members share a mission to protect and promote the FairShares Brand through the application of Co-operative Values and Principles in the development of the FairShares Model by specialist consultants, companies and co-operatives.
- Founder Members are the individuals whose contributions to knowledge made the FairShares Model and Brand possible (intellectual capital).
- Labour Members are consultants, educators and consultancy organisations who have made an independent, permanent, lasting contribution to the FairShares Model (human and intellectual capital).
- User Members are individuals and organisations who spread use of the model in their work and enter into a Social Licence agreement with an authorised provider of FairShares IP (social capital).
- Founder membership was offered to each member who incorporated the association in 2015.
- Labour membership is offered to researchers, educators, consultants and professionals who 'make a significant and lasting contribution to the FairShares Model or administration of the FairShares Association' by creating IP that adds to the development of the FairShares Model.
- User membership is offered to researchers, educators, consultants and professionals who 'make a significant and lasting contribution to the FairShares Model or administration of the FairShares Association' by actively disseminating its concepts, terms and approach to co-operative social entrepreneurship in their research, knowledge transfer and consultancy / professional service activities.
- Investor Shares are not issued by the FairShares Association.
On Values and Principles
The FairShares Association was awarded the co-operative marque by the ICA on 5th March 2014.